Job Vacancies At The U.S. Embassy & Consulates in South Africa
The U.S. Embassy’s duties include serving and protecting American nationals who are living in South Africa as well as advancing American interests.
It is also the responsibility of the U.S. Mission in South Africa to maintain diplomatic ties between the United States of America and the Republic of South Africa.
This United States Embassy in South Africa is comprised of over 30 U.S. Government departments and agencies, employing over 300 United States Direct Hire employees and 600 Locally Employed Staff.
1. PLUMBER (TEMPORARY)
The U.S. Consulate in CapeTown is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for a position of Plumber (Temporary) i nthe Facilities Management Office.
Functions Of Position
- The incumbent is employed as a journeyman level Maintenance Mechanic – Plumber to carry out skilled maintenance and repair work on the critical and non-critical mechanical and plumbing systems throughout the New Consulate Compound and other facilities
- The incumbent reports to the Building Engineer Supervisor.
- completion of a vocational training program from a recognized school that produces plumbers and mechanical system technicians at the journeyman level.
- The journey-level plumber must have a minimum of three (3) years of experience performing repairs and upkeep on plumbing and mechanical systems in commercial or industrial buildings.
- English level II (Limited) Written/Speaking/Reading in English is required in order to understand verbal requests, read some technical material, and prepare simple reports.
- The incumbent is required to have a thorough, technical understanding of major building plumbing/mechanical systems and equipment, with a specialty in plumbing systems.
- The employee must be adept at reading and interpreting technical papers, such as layout drawings, as-built drawings, riser diagrams, equipment schedules, operations and maintenance manuals, and other manufacturer’s material.
Click To Apply : Plumber
2. Security Investigator
The U.S. Consulate in Cape Town is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for a position of Security Investigator in the Regional Security Office.
Functions Of Position
- The incumbent conducts sensitive, routine, and complex criminal investigations of counterfeit/forged travel documents, human trafficking, and smuggling, U.S. fugitive extraditions, identity theft, bribery, extortion, conspiracy, misrepresentation, malfeasance, and terrorist travel.
- The incumbent is also responsible for working level liaison with U.S. law enforcement agencies and U.S. attorney’s offices throughout the United States and its territories.
- It is necessary to have earned a bachelor’s degree in one of the following disciplines: law, law enforcement, security, international relations, politics, or criminal justice and forensics from an accredited university.
- At least five (5) years of professional experience in a related criminal or investigative field in local government, or involvement with the U.S. or government in the field(s) of criminal justice, security, administrative investigations, or court processes
- Level 4 (Fluent) speaking/reading/writing English is required. Level 4 (Fluent) in at least one other South African language is required.
- A good working knowledge of documentary sources of information and familiarity with pertinent local laws such as invasion of privacy, marriage, divorce, etc. is necessary. Knowledge about criminal activities and modus operandi of criminal organizations within the AOR.
- Critical and independent thinker; self-starter, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work as a team toward a common goal. Strong computer skills, (word processing, spreadsheet management, presentations software) are required.
Click To Apply : Security Investigator
3. Administrative Clerk
The U.S. Consulate in CapeTown is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for a position of Administrative Clerk in the Overseas Building Operations Regional Service Center.
Functions Of Position
- The Overseas Buildings Operations (OBO) Administrative Clerk performs a variety of administrative tasks under the supervision of the ORSC Director/Deputy Director and/or Senior/Deputy Facility Manager. These tasks could involve, but not be limited to: human, finance, shipping and traveling, supplies and procurement, computer network, and other tasks as allocated.
- Incumbent must be a secondary school graduate.
- You must have at least two (2) years of office-related clerical, administrative, or customer service experience.
- English Level III (Good working knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
- Knowledge of OBO or general design/construction guidelines and vocabulary will be required. Knowledge of host nation employment and VAT requirements.
- Must be able to deal effectively with customers and organize own work to meet established deadlines.
- Knowledge of office management functions, services, procedures and standard information sources.
- Good customer service orientation and interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to establish and maintain liaison with personnel at all levels in other organizations in order to coordinate personnel matters.
Click To Apply : Administrative Clerk